How Can You Settle a Divorce Out of Court?

Divorce doesn’t have to end in a fight. If you and your spouse are on the same terms about the divorce, you may be wondering how you can finalize the process most quickly and simply. No matter how amicable your divorce is, when you have to prolong it, it can be even more emotional.

Every state has different divorce laws. Where some states will let you settle the divorce out of court, it is mandatory to see a judge in others. This doesn’t mean that you can’t settle your divorce before stepping foot in a courtroom. If you and your spouse agree, your meeting in front of the judge could last minutes.

Here are some examples of alternate dispute resolution.

Divorce Mediation

Mediation is one of the most popular examples of alternate dispute resolution. In mediation, you choose a mediator who works with you and your spouse to settle your differences. This person will look at the information and documents and try to help the two settle. In mediation, both parties have to agree on all decisions. It is a more amicable way to settle a divorce.

Many people choose mediation because it doesn’t have the same stressors attached to it. Not to mention, it costs less money to go through mediation than to go through the court system.

Divorce Arbitration

If you don’t think mediation is right for you or if you want a neutral party to settle your dispute, arbitration is the best choice, as trusted divorce lawyers in Arlington, TX like those from Brandy Austin Law Firm, PLLC can explain. An arbitrator can issue a decision much as a judge would. With arbitration, you and your spouse can choose your arbitrator.

Another benefit of arbitration is that the standard for evidence is lower. For example, where a court might demand that a witness give his or her testimony in person, arbitrators may allow you to use a letter signed by the witness. You can also set the date and times of your arbitration. Contested divorces, in traditional court, can take up to a year.

No matter whether you choose to go to court or to settle in mediation or arbitration, you can still have a legal advocate. Your lawyer can help ensure that you receive a fair deal at the end of your marriage. If you aren’t interested in going to court or if you want to shorten your time in front of the judge, then you should contact a family lawyer as soon as possible.