Medical Malpractice Lawyer
I underwent spinal surgery and believe that negligence occurred, should I consult a surgical errors attorney in Miami for advice?
Any surgery that involves the back or spine is usually very painful and takes many weeks to heal. Often the patient will require significant rest time and lose their ability to do normal activities for a while. Unfortunately, around 50 percent of spinal procedures do not alleviate the pain – which in this case may be the reason the patient underwent the surgery. Sometimes, as a Miami surgical errors attorney might explain, additional pain or injuries can be a result of their surgery or post-operative care.
Whenever a medical error, also known as medical malpractice, results in the need for further treatment or causes serious injuries that diminish the patients quality of life, it may be possible to file a medical negligence claim with the assistance of a Miami surgical errors attorney. A claim may be filed to seek monetary compensation for:
- Revisionary procedures
- Medical treatment
- Ongoing care
- Economic losses
- + More
Common Procedures Involving the Spine
Back and spinal medical procedures often come with a risk; however, they remain one of the most popular forms of corrective surgeries in the U.S. The reason for a person to have a back or spinal surgery is typically due to compression or decompression and may involve:
- Weak bones
- Weak muscles
- Supportive cartilage problems
- Chronic pain
The type of surgery a person may need will depend on the type of injury, their prognosis, and the location. The procedure may help to release any pressure placed on affected nerves, address and repair the damage, and assist in strengthening the spine.
What Might Cause an Injury During A Procedure
A spinal or back surgery is complicated and there are many ways in which the treatment could go wrong. For this reason, it is prudent a medical doctor discusses these risks well before the procedure. At the time of the surgery, medical staff have a duty to detect errors and correct them before they become a concern. As a Miami surgical errors attorney, we have known of cases that involve:
- Failure to Manage Medications – It is possible that blood thinners could lead to excessive bleeding. If a patient is on blood thinners, and they are given a contradictory medication, serious issues could occur, including internal bleeding and death.
- Misplacing Surgical Hardware – Many spine and back surgeries will utilize small screws, plates, and hardware. In rare cases, these things are misplaced in a person’s body and can lead to severe injuries.
- Development of a Hematoma or Blood Clot – While the body tries to heal, there is a risk of developing a blood clot. If this should happen along the spine, paralysis is a risk.
- Improper Incision – One small incision error could damage or sever a blood vessel or nerve. Injury, paralysis, and disability may be the result.
- Spinal Cord Damage – It is possible for the spinal cord, or nervous system, to be injured or damaged during the procedure. If this should happen, it is often permanent. No surgery or treatment will be able to reverse it.
If you or a loved one underwent a spine or back surgery and are facing further pain or injuries and believe it is due to a surgical error, please call a Miami surgical error attorney today.